The University of Leicester, Loughborough University and De Montfort University work collaboratively to deliver a range aspiration and attainment raising activities specifically for Looked after Children and Care Leavers, from Primary up to age 25. All events are free to attend.
We welcome contact from anyone supporting a young person in care, either about accessing our outreach activities, attending our training event or to answer questions about going to university and the specialist support and provision universities provide for care experience students – please contact us via email@example.com and we will be able to advise.
The Primary University Discovery Day at the University of Leicester (Yr5/6) and Secondary University Experience day at Loughborough University (Yr9/10) are for young people in Leicester/shire and Rutland and Designated Teachers in schools will be contacted by the Leicester City Council, Leicestershire County Council or Rutland County Council Virtual School teams early in each Spring term about these activities. If you are supporting a pre-16 young person in care who is in a Leicester/shire school but in the care of another Local Authority, please contact us directly about the above activities at firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are supporting a young person in care aged 16-25 in the East Midlands and are interested in the Summer School, please contact us directly for more information and to register your interest at email@example.com
- Primary University Discovery Day. Year 5/6. University of Leicester. 30 March 2017 An aspiration and awareness raising activity about Higher Education on the university campus for children in Year 5 and 6. Working in small groups with a student ambassador, activities include a campus tour, quiz and Q & A about university life with student ambassadors, a session looking at different types of jobs and skills and thinking about what they are good and enjoy, an interactive subject session delivered one of our Departments, making a colourful mortar board hat and graduation certificates and photos.
- Secondary University Experience Day. Yr 9/10. Loughborough University. TBC March 2017 An exciting and informative day on campus aimed at raising awareness and knowledge of higher education and student life. The day offers information, advice and guidance through interactive sessions split into four main areas: demystifying HE, student life, campus trail and budgeting. Working with student ambassadors, activities are designed to inspire and excite students from non-traditional backgrounds and focus on raising their academic aspirations, confidence and skills
- ‘A Rough guide to Higher Education’ – training event for Foster Carers, Social Workers, Designated Teachers, professionals and volunteers who support Children and Young People in Care. De Montfort University. 16 May 2017 Informative training event covering the benefits of university and Higher Education for young people in care and what you can do to support them in making decisions about their future. Care experienced undergraduates also share their educational journeys and explain how university is making a difference to their future. We welcome Foster Carers, Social Workers, Careers Advisors, Key workers, Designated Teachers, Mentors, Youth Workers, Voluntary sector staff, volunteers and anyone involved in supporting young people in care at any age.
- University Experience Summer School (non-residential). Yr 11+ (16-25). 5+6 July 2017. De Montfort University, University of Leicester, Loughborough University). Two days of activities delivered across all three university campuses, including a variety of subject tasters, campus/accommodation tour, sports activities, goal setting workshop, Students Union activity, all supported by Student Mentors (some care experienced).
Student Learning Outcomes
- Increased knowledge and understanding of HE
- Raised aspirations and improved skills to raise attainment
- Improved self–confidence, team working and communication skills
- Increased confidence about studying at university in future
- Increased motivation in own studies at school/college
- Introduction to new subject areas