In April, the Beauty Department at Stephenson College organised a Beauty & Spa HE Event to raise awareness of HE progression and high profile jobs within the sector. A series of exciting lectures were delivered by Jane Harwood-Scott, Claire Stocker and supported by the Level 3 Beauty Therapy learners.
This fully booked event included attendance from 5 schools across the county with a total of 70 learners & staff.
- Guest speaker form Derby University presented HE courses available that included Spa Management Degree and progression to a Masters, and discussing what a typical day at university could be like
- Practical hands on activities such as blending eye shadow palettes and measuring correct length of eye brows
- Beauty & Spa Workbook was developed to raise awareness of HE progression, linking salary to qualifications gained and high profile jobs within the industry
- Learners experienced a Spa Cuisine healthy lunch
- High profile employer from the sector shared her success story from a mobile therapist to one of Leicester’s most success beauty salons Femi
- Q&A session
Feedback from the learners was very positive, over 88% of learners stated that they were now more aware of the Beauty & Spa progression pathway. Learners stated that they would consider studying beauty & spa therapy in the future
What did you enjoy most about the day?
“The practical activities were good as we learnt how to shade and blend eye shadow effectively.”
“Getting information about Degrees & Masters in beauty & spa and what university life could be like.”
“Hearing about the employer and how she worked hard to open a salon, which is very successful.”
This successful event led to an invitation to REACH Conference in June 2016 to recreate this event to the coordinators of WP at the Leicestershire’s schools. Some event resources developed by Jane Harwood-Scott are available to download here:
Final Actitivity Workbook Beauty and Spa HE March 2016 (1) (CE)